Monday, September 26, 2005

Prepare for the Invasion! The Martians Have Landed and SPC is Reading All About It.

“A sudden chill came over me. There was a loud shriek from a woman behind. I half turned, keeping my eyes fixed upon the cylinder still, from which other tentacles were now projecting, and began pushing my way back from the edge of the pit. I saw astonishment giving place to horror on the faces of the people about me. I heard inarticulate exclamations on all sides. There was a general movement backwards. I saw the shopman struggling still on the edge of the pit. I found myself alone, and saw the people on the other side of the pit running off, Stent among them. I looked again at the cylinder, and ungovernable terror gripped me. I stood petrified and staring.” (Wells, p. 20)

Wells, H. G.. War of the Worlds. NY: Signet Classic, Penguin Group, 1986.

Online version of The War of the Worlds available at the link below:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/36/36-h/36-h.htm

During the month of October all of St. Petersburg College will read The War of the Worlds, by H. G. Wells. Many activities related to the book and its themes will be held college wide, including an online discussion about the book on the Library’s Blog. Other activities include special programs at the Planetarium on the Gibbs Campus, Book Discussion Groups, special lectures and even a costume contest. Check on your campus to find information about activities related to SPC Reads War of the Worlds. Students, staff, faculty and community readers have the opportunity to participate in this online book discussion. Look for regular updates, discussion starters, and questions about The War of the Worlds. Copies of the book are available at your campus library…be a part of SPC Reads The War of the Worlds!

No comments: